WHAT IS AN ECO-LODGE?
1. An eco-lodge offers travelers a nature-based experience.
2. An eco-lodge is almost always located in remote locations.
3. An eco-lodge helps travelers understand the importance of preserving local flora and fauna.
4. An eco-lodge is usually in the heart of an unspoiled natural environment.
5. An eco-lodge offers the traveler the opportunity to truly connect with the surrounding wilderness.
6. An eco-lodge aims to improve the welfare of the local population by supporting local suppliers and workers.
7. An eco-lodge uses systems that protect the environment from pollution and degradation.
8. An eco-lodge often uses energy-saving systems and possibly renewable energy technologies.
9. An eco-lodge employs or has access to nature interpretation guides that have received training in biology or have an excellent local knowledge of the natural habitat.
10. An eco-lodge provides books, posters, maps, photographs, orientation presentations or other means of informing guests and visitors about the biology of the region.
11. An eco-lodge helps to educate guests, staff, and visitors about the importance and value of a healthy ecosystem and describes how best to enjoy the area without affecting it.
12. An eco-lodge contributes to the local economy and helps to demonstrate that ecotourism is a more sustainable way to earn income in the long term.